Saturday, July 10, 2010

Beans on Toast


I didn't eat beans much growing up and thought I didn't like them. However a couple of years ago I read the following on one of my favourite foodie websites, Orangette:
There is great value, people, in knowing how to doctor a can of beans. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. It’s one of those important life skills, like knowing how to make a bed, tie your shoes, or operate a corkscrew. [From here]
I decided it was time to master beans! And I have... now I love them and eat them often. They make a great lunch on a cold wet day like today. I fried an onion, added a little bacon that needed using up and some garlic and dried oreganum. Then I added a tin of mixed beans and a splash of tabasco and cooked for a few minutes. (I usually add cumin too, but forgot). I served them up on top of rye bread toast. Quick and easy... and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment