Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hacked to Bits


We've has the tree-fellers in this week clearing out some enormous overgrown strelitzias and trimming some other trees in preparation for the new (higher) wall that will soon be replacing the old wooden fence. My frangipani and peach tree both lost several limbs, poor things. The worst thing however was watching the doves this morning: they were hopping along in fence this morning in a state of confusion as to where their beloved strelitzias have gone. They've lost their home :(

2 comments:

  1. Hello Helen - oh my gosh, I can share your emotions on this. And the poor doves! Ay.

    We have a large rhus tree in our back garden; it needs pruning every second year (actually every year because it grows so fast, but we can't afford that), and it looks AWFUL when it's been cut.

    The whole energy of the garden changes - there's suddenly a LOT more light coming into the house too, so it's glaringly bright. The sound of chainsaws is just heartrending. I hate watching them, but I feel I have to because I've got to protect the tree and make sure that they don't damage it.

    Oh dear, I'm sending lots of happy, loving thoughts towards your frangipani and your peach tree. May the grow strong and healthy and bear lots of flowers and fruit in the next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reggie. Totally true about the energy of the garden changing. It is really odd. I know there is going to be more trauma for the trees and plants when the wall is done, so I'm holding on til them and then the whole garden will get some TLC. And I'll do some more planting!
    The doves weren't around this am, so I hope they have found a new home already!

    ReplyDelete