Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beware the Fraudsters!


This morning I got an sms from the bank notifying me of a large debit on my account. As I had made no such transaction I immediately rang their call centre and then had to go down to the bank in person to complete a bunch of paperwork (letter of dispute and affidavit, stamped at the police station) and get the debit card cancelled. How this happened is a bit of a mystery as I very seldom use this card and had it my possession all along. Never thought I'd be the victim of fraud! Even though it was a lot of hassle, the bank was very helpful and hopefully all will be sorted out in a couple of days. Phew!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! That must have been so scary! I'm always nervous when I give my bank details to someone to make a payment - I always wonder whether they or someone who intercepts the info will be able to make a withdrawal instead. I am very relieved the bank notified you in time and that they're going to sort it out. Holding thumbs for you, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reggie. Yes, it has been scary, and I'm still baffled how it happened. I hope it will all be resolved by early next week. Hold thumbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wandered over here from your Walk the Cape blog and came across this entry...can you tell me if you have had this resolved yet? Two weeks ago my husbands bank card was "skimmed" and we lost R7000 out of our savings account. We have had to go the same route as you did and I believe they do have to pay us back but that it takes 2 - 3 months! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it has been sorted out - took about five days. I was fortunate in that although the deduction was made off my account as soon as the card was used (or card details, as I had the actual card in my possession - I'm still not quite sure how it was done) the funds had not yet been transferred to the merchant's bank account. I caught it while the money was in limbo - showing as 'pending' on my side. The bank did tell me if the transaction had been completed it would be a much longer process to resolve, two or three months like you were told. I'm so sorry to hear it happened to your husband also. Terrible business! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete